The Museum is situated in Scott Street between Durban and Voortrekker Streets in a building erected by Dr Birtwell in 1879 and sold to the Colonial Government as "The Residency" or "Drostdy" for the local magistrate. It remained as such until 1971 when the then Magistrate found it unacceptable and persuaded the authorities to build a new residence on adjoining land. The then Borough Council acquired the property and the Museum was officially opened on 17 August 1973 by the Administrator of Natal, Ben Havemann. It is now a National Monument and considered to be one of the best small museums in the country.
The Museum has a large collection of memorabilia from the Umvoti Mounted Rifles involvement in the Bambatha Rebellion of 1906, the Zulu, the First Anglo Boer , the South African and the two World Wars. It houses a Victorian Children's Room, Hindu and Muslim Room, Zulu Culture Room and a Blacksmith's forge in the Coach House with a good selection of farming equipment.
Outside exhibits include:
Steam engines, a hearse, a restored Cape Cart, and a Spider. A prime exhibit is a 1750's cannon brought to Greytown in 1852, all the way from Port St. Johns, through countryside inhabited with wild animals, by an eighteen year old orphaned girl accompanied by ten shipwrecked Zulus . A 115 year old fig tree (Ficus Natalensis) was planted by Annie Botha (sister of General Louis Botha), while married to Dr. Birtwell who built this house. WHERE: Scott Street between Durban and Voortrekker Streets TELEPHONE NUMBER: +270334132944 CONTACT US NOW TO BOOK YOUR MUSEUM EXPEDITION